Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 13 - Enough is Enough

OK, I am truly sorry for my break. I had a chocolate party a week ago, then had family visit & then went to visit family. VERY BUSY week!!! So now I am back at my computer with a couple of FABULOUS recipes for you!! But first, on a more personal note, I have decided that I am going to do some radical & different recipes. I need to be very creative in what I do with food now. Some of you may know that my husband lost his job last year, but now he has a new job (which we are SO thankful for), but it pays less, so I need to figure out how to stay on a strict budget & to make YUMMY and healthy food for my family during this time. So enough of that!! On with the food!!

This first one is PERFECT for any get together/potluck etc!!

Fruit Salad in a Watermelon Basket

So, first I took a whole watermelon, laid it how it wants to lay & cut about 1 1/2 inch on each side of the midline to make the handle. Then I cut from the stem lengthwise to meet the first cut, then the other side. So you are left with half a watermelon on the bottom & a little 3 inch piece on the top.




Then I took my knife & cut the flesh off the top part. You can then scoop out the bottom or try to cut it out, your choice. I scooped it.








I cut up some of the watermelon & put it in another bowl to make my salad. I cut up a pineapple, some strawberries, blueberries, grapes & kiwi. I would rinse the basket & pat dry. If you're not going to use it right away, I would refrigerate it & the salad too.



Next is the most awesome treat ever!!!

Profiterole Puffs - in layman's terms CREAM PUFFS!!!! Unfortunately they are SO easy to make it is unbelievable!!!! :-)
From the Pampered Chef
For the puffs you will need:
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup flour
3 eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat your oven to 375. Combine the water butter & salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the flour all at once. Using a spatula, stir vigorously for about 1 minute until the mixture leaves the sides and forms a ball. Remove it from the heat; place dough into a bowl, preferably glass, but metal is fine too. Add eggs and whisk until smooth and very thick using a whisk.

Lightly spray a mini muffin pan with oil. Using a slightly mounded teaspoon scoop batter into cups. Bake 22-25 min or until a deep golden brown. Remove them from the oven and make a small cut into the side of each puff to release excess steam. Remove puffs from pan and cool completely.






For the filling:
1 containter (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup prepared chocolate frosting, melted
2 tbsp chopped pistachios or almonds

Combine whipped topping, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Mix gently until well blended using a spatula. If you have a pastry bag fill it with filling & pipe into puffs. If you don't have a pastry bag, you can use a large zip-top bag, and put the filling into the bag & then cut off a small corner & pit it into the hole you made in the puffs & pipe it in. You should feel the dough tighten around the cream. For the topping, place frosting in a microwave safe bowl, cook on high for 5-10 seconds or until melted. Drizzle frosting over puffs and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Serve immediately. Makes 24 puffs.





I do the filling just a little differently. I use a cup of whipping cream & use my whisk attachment on my Kitchen Aid & make whipped cream then I add the vanilla & powdered sugar & stir it in gently. I also don't use frosting, I use some of my Dove chocolate & melt it. It doesn't drizzle as well, but it does harden.

There ya go!! Two great dishes that are perfect for get togethers!!

1 comment:

  1. Both of these are AWESOME! Thanks Bridget for the great treats and fun party!

    ReplyDelete